R8810 (OT Bridge) dead ?

Anything to do with OpenTherm and Honeywell Home products in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
oxygen

R8810 (OT Bridge) dead ?

Post by oxygen »

Hey there,

I've raised a support call with Resideo, but I'm not quite sure they'll manage to assist :D
I've a setup working fine for the last 5 years, with a R8810 and a OpenTherm compatible boiler (based on a LMU64, and its an Atlantic boiler)

I monitor all the Evohome RF talk with an HGI80, and it seems the R8810 stopped working last night (for no reason).
I've tried to reset it (15 seconds on the button), but with no luck, no led (red or green) anymore.
I've tried to check if I can test the RF comms between Evohome & the R8810, but I cannot find how to put in 'test mode' the R8810.

As a fallback, i've switch back to using the BDR91 as an On/Off relay, and the boiler is now controllable again (albeit more stupidly as only in on/off mode).

Has this ever happened to anyone (a R8810 dying suddenly like that) ?
I'm wondering if there is an issue with the LMU64 itself or if it's just the OT Bridge that died.

I have a OTGW sitting idle around, so I may try to listen to the OT talk and see what I can make out of this, but any feedback would be of great help ;)
Richard
Site Admin

Re: R8810 (OT Bridge) dead ?

Post by Richard »

Normally very reliable, as its a extra low voltage product.

Not impossible for it to be faulty but Resideo should be able to diagnose?
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

Some update :)
I've got in touch with Resideo, they assume based on my analysis that its dead.
And suggest that I buy a new one (lol).

However, 24hrs after I've put back my BDR91 online (and consequently after 24hrs of electrical reset of the R8810) I've plugged in my OTGW that was sitting idle at home.
With only the OTGW and the R8810, leds are working again. And I could reset the R8810 and put it back into pairing mode.

I've plugged the full thing (OTGW in between the R8810 and the LMU64/Perfinox) and things are back to normal.
I could then pair completely the OT Bridge and Evohome controller.

And things are working fine again.

I'm a bit puzzled at what happen and why did it "fails" only to work again 24hrs later.
Feels strange.

I'll leave the OTGW to trap messages and see if I can detect something.
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Maybe just the old case of turn them both off for 5 minutes and back on? ;) :lol:
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

The EVOHOME Shop wrote:Maybe just the old case of turn them both off for 5 minutes and back on? ;) :lol:
Most likely.
Albeit, it may take more than 5 mins to fully "reset" the R8810 as I tried initially to power it off for "a few minutes" and it didn't work.
So I would suggest to wait more ~2hrs than 5 mins ;)
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

Things gets stranger and stranger.
The R8810 died again, failing to communicate with the boiler. I lost all data from the boiler (even with the OTGW).
No more lights on the OT Bridge, and it refused to reset (no lights where on even after pressing the button 15 secs)

I reverted back to the BDR91, I'm a bit puzzled on what's the exact trouble, if it's on the boiler end or on the OT Bridge end.

I'll wait a few days to try and reconnect the OT Bridge, to see if it's behaving better.
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

New R8810 is now working fine.
Funny thing is that my old bridge was quite different compared to the new one.

Old one is having a physical external antenna (right side of the pic) compared to the new one having a PCB antenna (left side).
Also, the doc coming with the new one list many more led warnings and details compared to the old one.
We'll see if it keeps running fine now (old one was running fine for 5+ years)

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

oxygen wrote:New R8810 is now working fine.
Funny thing is that my old bridge was quite different compared to the new one.

Old one is having a physical external antenna (right side of the pic) compared to the new one having a PCB antenna (left side).
Also, the doc coming with the new one list many more led warnings and details compared to the old one.
We'll see if it keeps running fine now (old one was running fine for 5+ years)

New one has just been updated over time with the most significant change being the aerial integrated into the PCB instead of an external aerial. The R8810 and the HCS80 use a similar PCB and housing and I documented this change on my HCC80R hack video here - https://youtu.be/FXqqpaUYfA0?si=5bCEYTak54uFqSsG