Slow response time

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
holian

Slow response time

Post by holian »

Masters,

When i change the temperature on the evohome screen (for test i increase the temp from 21 to 32) than i have to wait approx 2 minutes when my BDR91 receive the command and start the boiler. (and same for reverse, when i turn off the heating...BDR will stop the boiler minutes..).

Is this normal?

My 10 year old computherm radio controlled thermostat react in seconds when is change....

Very annoying...

Regards,

Krisztián
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Slow response time

Post by Richard »

evohome operates on 4 minute cycle windows so yes this is very normal. See page 29 of the evohome Installation Guide...
4minutes.JPG
4minutes.JPG (172.36 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
ChrisHann

Re: Slow response time

Post by ChrisHann »

Yes. I was struggling with the response time, but it makes sense because continuous wireless communication will drain a battery very quickly.
I did some tests on my new multi-zone system on the work bench prior to installation and found that the Evohome controller communication with the Boiler Relay as almost instantaneous, but they're mains powered anyway. The good news is that when the system is calling for heat, Evohome doesn't tell the boiler relay to switch on until it knows that at least one radiator valve has opened or has been instructed to open. When no heat to any zone is required, the boiler relay stops the boiler immediatly but radiator valve or valves won't close until the next communication cycle.
Thus, it seems that battery powered devices are on the long cycle but mains powered devices are essentially instantaneous.
The above is what I have deduced from my tests so don't take this as gospel. I could be wrong and don't accept any liability.
Just a clarification. The Evohome controller is battery powered but normally sits on a mains powered stand or wall mounting. This keeps the battery on charge but allows the controller to be removed for short periods so that it can be moved from zone to zone to set up and check the heating system.