Comms fault hot water valve actuator

All Honeywell Home evohome general discussion in here! *PLEASE NOTE* Official Resideo technical support is on 0300 130 1299.
adamski88

Comms fault hot water valve actuator

Post by adamski88 »

Hello

My hot water randomly stopped working last night, getting this message: "comms fault hot water valve actuator". I've read a few conflicting reports on how best to fix it, the install was a nitemare and the system seemed very temperamental so I want to ensure im doing it correctly! (The kids are really going to need a bath tonight!!)

I have an evohome with the hot water kit installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Adam
Richard
Site Admin

Re: Comms fault hot water valve actuator

Post by Richard »

If you post an image of the evohome controller fault log and installation of the BDR91's and the CS92A I can help.
Home: 2012 Built Oak & Timber Frame Home (EPC Score 95 - A Rated)
Renewable Tech: GSHP, Solar Thermal, Solar PV & 20kWh Battery Storage
Smart Home Platform: Home Assistant, Shelly & Salus Smart Home
adamski88

Post by adamski88 »

Brilliant thanks, I'll get a picture of the fault log asap.

Could I ask what you mean by installation of the BDR91 and CS92?
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

adamski88 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 am Could I ask what you mean by installation of the BDR91 and CS92?
A wide angle photo of the white evohome relay boxes that operate your heating and hot water motorised zone valves and also the evohome hot water cylinder temperature sensor.
adamski88

Post by adamski88 »

Richard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 am
adamski88 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 am Could I ask what you mean by installation of the BDR91 and CS92?
A wide angle photo of the white evohome relay boxes that operate your heating and hot water motorised zone valves and also the evohome hot water cylinder temperature sensor.
No probs, wasn't sure if you meant the physical install or settings on the evohome controller.

The BDR91 is mounted in the kitchen where the old heating control unit was. The CS92 is in the hot press just mouted on the wall with the strap on sensor round the water tank. It's all been working for about 5 months so im not sure theres anything to see but I can provide a picture if you still need?
adamski88

Post by adamski88 »

Richard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am If you post an image of the evohome controller fault log and installation of the BDR91's and the CS92A I can help.

Added a few extra incase they might be of use. The kids room valve has always displayed an error, but it still works as expected.

*not sure why the image links arent working, added as attachment instead
Attachments
IMG_20240418_103742.jpg
IMG_20240418_103742.jpg (208.97 KiB) Viewed 104 times
IMG_20240418_103724.jpg
IMG_20240418_103724.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

If you are posting external image links, you need to have the full image address including .jpg or .png on most phpBB forums now. A video about this is here (https://youtu.be/8IXA4muWlfA?si=WmhzjISm5NX67aJO it works with any external image site not just the one in the video).

For example "h t t p s : / / i.ibb.co/YBXz2Kh/IMG-20240418-103902.png" instead of "h t t p s : / / i.ibb.co/YBXz2Kh/"

Now shows this image correctly (which I want to discuss)...

Referring to the image above, it shows you have a wireless relay box and 2 two port or 3 port valve option setup at the same time which is incorrect.

Please contact Resideo technical support (0300 130 1299) and ask them to help you reconfigure your heating and hot water BDR91's correctly, as this is probably the cause of your issue.
adamski88

Post by adamski88 »

Thanks

Is it worth trying to rebind since it worked fine for so long? Getting some hot water tonight is goal #1 (won't be able to contact support today)

is this valve referring to the standard central heating motirised valve? i.e. seperate from the evohome system? if so, i believe I have a 2 port valve (google suggests a 3 port is a T, mine is a straight coupling).

Would you also happen to know if the immersion switch would still work or not? (again just as a one off so the kids can get a bath tonight!)
Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Its not bound correctly, so needs to be done to rule out that as an issue. Firstly, you need to say 'NONE' under 'BOILER CONTROL' here...

...and then rebind via the 'STORED HOT WATER CONFIGURATION' menu under 'GUIDED CONFIGURATION' (don't do the heating guided configuration otherwise it will wipe all your heating zones).

Tech support can talk you through it or you can watch this video I did (which is a bit old but still relevant - https://youtu.be/UtbIt1oxe3I).

It also looks like you have the old evohome firmware, so you may want to get tech support to update that too?

Also any reason you have a X through the evotouch controller battery symbol?
adamski88

Post by adamski88 »

Richard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm Its not bound correctly, so needs to be done to rule out that as an issue. Firstly, you need to say 'NONE' under 'BOILER CONTROL' here...

...and then rebind via the 'STORED HOT WATER CONFIGURATION' menu under 'GUIDED CONFIGURATION' (don't do the heating guided configuration otherwise it will wipe all your heating zones).

Tech support can talk you through it or you can watch this video I did (which is a bit old but still relevant - https://youtu.be/UtbIt1oxe3I).

It also looks like you have the old evohome firmware, so you may want to get tech support to update that too?

Also any reason you have a X through the evotouch controller battery symbol?
Could I ask why I need to say 'NONE' under 'BOILER CONTROL'? Just for my understanding

The video isnt working, says "Video unavailable - This video is private" I'd defo try it myself, just read elsewhere you need to delete it/unbind first etc, wanted clarity on the correct procedure. Is there a way you could give me access to the video?

As for the X on the battery, I dont use the controller at all, I just use the app - last night was the first time ive even touched it in 6 months - long story short, it got knocked over and took a pretty hard hit on the floor, when I put the batteries back in and plugged it in again the x appeared. It now completely loses power whenever its removed from the dock.

There's no physical damage to the unit, but im assuming something to do with the battery connection has been damaged from the impact?